Sunday, October 11, 2009

Erte' Display at Pittock Mansion


Yesterday I went with a friend to the Pittock Mansion to see the Erte' display and then we had lunch of 23rd street. It was a lovely cool, crisp, but sunny fall day. I wore a 1930's rayon dress - the dress is white with a black, light purple and green abstract floral design. I wore a black cardigan, white bobby sox, and black mary janes. I wore my vintage sunglasses and my black vintage patent leather purse.



The Erte display was beautiful, Erte's true name was Romain de Tirtoff but he was known by the French pronunciation of his initials - Erte'. He is most famous for his Art Deco illustrations of dramatically dressed women. He designed costumes and sets for theatre, opera, and Hollywood. He worked for Harper's Bazaar Magazine for over 20 years and created more than 200 covers. Often featuring women in flowing silks, furs, jewels, and/or feather plumes.



There were prints and sculptures on display for viewing and they were quite exotic and beautiful. As many of you know the Art Deco Era is my favorite so of course I had to go.




2 comments:

Lolita Haze said...

Oh wow! They need to take that one tour! Specifically Phoenix!!! Phoenix needs a good old history lesson!

Brooksie said...

Hey Lo -

When I was in Phoenix about 15 years ago, I remember down town had a really neat victorian mansion. Now that would be a great place for an Erte' display! This Erte' display could very well be on tour because it is not a normal fixture at the Pittock Mansion. If you ever have a chance to google the Pittock Mansion do it because it is amaizing! Portland is so lucky to have it and to think that it was almost demolished in the late 50's, early 60's, thank God it was not.