Saturday, January 29, 2011

My view while on my way to work every morning.


This is my view that have while I walk to work in the mornings, not a bad view at all especially if you like neon like I do. When I leave my apartment in the wee hours of the morning it is still dark out as I make my way to work - I basically just go down stairs, then in the back door and I am there. The easiest and most stress free commute in the world. I love it.

Anyways here is a little bit of history regarding this sign the Portlander's seem to have grown fond of over the years:

In 1940 the sign was built for White Satin Sugar Company by the Ramsey Sign Company, The White Satin Sugar Co., rented the space on the roof out just for the sign. In 1959 the sign changed from The White Satin Sugar Co. to White Stag Sportswear because they were operating out of the building bellow it for a while. In 1977 the sign was designated a Portland Landmark by the City's Historic Landmarks Commission. In 1997 the sign changed to Made in Oregon and then in 2010 the sign was changed to say Portland Oregon - Old Town (the sign designates the area of Portland that it is located in which is Old Town). During the Christmas and holiday season a simulated red nose is turned on in imitation of the character Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

So, there you have it the history of the sign in a nutshell!

No comments: